Michael A. Freliech, P.E.
Mr. Freliech has been with the firm since 1997, and was promoted to the principal level in 2007. He directs all the activities of one of ASW’s five design studios. He has a strong background in the design of specialty mechanical systems and the coordination of building systems.
Mr. Freliech is responsible for the HVAC engineering and project management for many of ASW’s projects. His responsibilities include conceptual design, production scheduling and coordination, detailed engineering calculations, specification preparation and client interface. Mr. Freliech has demonstrated an exceptional talent for dealing with challenging engineering problems. His performance in managing the two-phased, 10-year long, renovation project at the Yale University Art Gallery, including the historic Louis Kahn building, the Swartwout building and Street Hall, has resulted in the successful implementation of envelope improvements and the introduction of highly controlled museum environments within the galleries.
Mr. Freliech has been responsible for management of several of the firm’s major geothermal projects, and has advised several owners of geothermal systems designed by others, in the remediation of unforeseen system problems. The Heimbold Visual Arts Center at Sarah Lawrence College, designed under Mr. Freliech’s direction, includes a 300-ton geothermal system and is the first LEED certified visual arts building in the U.S.
Mr. Freliech has demonstrated excellent management and creative design skills, particularly on the renovation of the Mead Art Museum, a project for which ASW was the prime consultant. He has successfully managed a multi-discipline team in the renewal of the climate control systems and upgrade of the building envelope. The project includes new gallery HVAC and art storage climate control having three different storage criteria.
A partial list of Mr. Freliech’s project experience includes:
– American Museum of Natural History
Central Plant Upgrade Projects, 2005 – 2010
Steam Infrastructure Upgrade Projects, 2006 – 2009
PlaNYC Energy Initiative projects, 2006 – 2011
– Amherst College – Mead Art Museum
– Clay Center of Arts and Sciences, Charleston, WV
– Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY
– Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY
– Duke University Athletic Center, Durham, NC
– Marion Koogler McNay Museum Gallery Addition, San Antonio, TX
– Monmouth Battlefield Visitor Center, Monmouth, NJ
– National Aquarium in Baltimore – Pier 3 Expansion, Baltimore, MD
– New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, CT
– North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC
– Portland Art Museum Centennial Project, Portland, OR
– Princeton University – Roger S. Berlind Theater at McCarter, Princeton, NJ
– Rhode Island School of Design – RISD Chace Center and Memorial Hall Projects, Providence, RI
– Sarah Lawrence College – Heimbold Visual Arts Center, Bronxville, NY
– Trinity College – New Admissions Building, Hartford, CT
– Ursinus College – Performing Arts Center, Collegeville, PA
– Williams College, Williamstown, MA
North & South Academic Buildings
Stetson Library Renovation and Expansion
– Yale University, New Haven, CT
Sprague Memorial Hall