Stetson Hall Renovation and Addition Williams College
The Stetson building, originally constructed in 1922, is home to the Chapin Library whose collection includes original copies of the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of the Confederation and other important historical documents. The 40,000 square foot existing building will be completely renovated and will be complimented with a 135,000 square foot library addition including general book stacks, special collections, staff offices, a news resource center and cafe.
The special collections areas will be maintained in an archival environment. Two-pass desiccant wheels are utilized in the air-handling units providing an energy efficient means to maintain the low relative humidity environment.
The general office, conference, and learning areas are constructed with raised floors and underfloor air supply. The underfloor plenum provides for flexibility to modify floor plans and provides space for power and data wireways.
The mechanical systems use campus steam and chilled water on a seasonal basis. High efficiency condensing boilers and modular chillers will satisfy heating and cooling demands in opposite seasons. Clean humidification steam is produced by unfired steam generators.
A unit substation in the building reduces campus high voltage power for the building electrical loads. An emergency generator provides power for emergency lighting along with the atrium smoke exhaust system. The fire alarm system utilizes air sampling-type smoke detection and a fire fighter smoke control station.
Altieri Sebor Wieber also performed architectural lighting design services. Lighting systems outperform ASHRAE 90.1-2007 design densities by 28%.
Location: Williamstown, MA
Completion Date: 2014
Architects: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson